
I’ve been trying to write something for a while now. It’s
been 14 days since my life feels a little black and white, 14 days since the uproarious
laughter and deafening echoes of shuffling cards surrounding these walls has suddenly
been slashed. It feels a little stupid to think I will walk into our Pune house
and Nani won’t be there, with my favourite food for lunch and my supply of
Khari biscuit for the next few days. What’s absolutely preposterous is, basically
our entire family had been there for 2-3 weeks now, and there was nothing quite
like all of us being there and living together that she adored. I’m home now,
and I’ve never been more homesick. We left at 5am, and I couldn’t stop crying
the whole 3hr ride back home. I can’t believe I left the house and Nani didn’t
wave me goodbye, didn’t hug me tight and ask me when I’d come next. Nani loved
sleeping on terraces. We’d pack it with mattresses and sleep on the terrace,
and one such night, it rained, and boy, did we run with the mattresses! All of
us went to the new terrace, thinking of how much she would’ve loved sleeping
and gossiping under the moon here, and how we were robbed of this. Every day,
we’d listen to Nani’s favourite bhajans and it was so calming. All of us
sitting together and just thinking of her. Today, mom and I tried to do that
from here, but I couldn’t go through with it, without breaking down, because I miss
them so damn much. Nani had done it yet again, taken the focus from her and somehow
managed to bring us closer. She was one hell of a woman. The impact she had on everyone
she met, from us to our extended families, from my friends to Naishu’s friends.
I was briefly at Symbi Law School in Pune, and she was so excited that I’d live
here with her after Naishu would graduate. Hiru didi, after living with Nani
all her life, went to Ahmedabad, so there was this running joke that Naishu replaced
Hiru didi, and Nani’s “putra moh” was showing :P It’s true, though, Naishu and Nani
were something else.
She was the life of the party. The spotlight, the apple of my
eye, the whole shebang. It is so hard to not instantly love someone who cares
so deeply, loves like it’s her last day on earth. The way she would watch us eat
mangoes and her heart would light up. The echoes of her voice choke me up while I hold in another tear. Gone from my arms, but still held in my heart. My Nani was the sweetest, most amazing
person, and I keep saying that because it is just so insanely stupid that she’s
no more. They keep saying she’s in a “better place,” but I fail to comprehend what
“better” could be, than her most favourite thing in the whole world, all of us here
with her, in our new home. How do you adjust to a reality where the ground you’re
standing on, is pulled from underneath?
Well said Beta
ReplyDeleteCried quite a bit while reading this. It made my heart very heavy. From all that you've described and the pictures you've put up, Nani just seems to be the most incredible woman with the sweetest smile. I'm so proud of you for being able to articulate such dense thoughts so componently. You have made me feel a turmoil of emotions through this write-up. You're very strong, Aashka. All love to you xx
ReplyDeleteThis really flooded my memories too Aashka! All those times spent at the old home are of course, never going to be the same! It's amazing how she was practically the same person touching people across two generations. You would be amazed to know (or probably you wouldn't) that we have been with Dev Mami (mami to us :)) since the time we were at the Bhavani Peth house and I don't remember her changing even one bit, since more than 30 years! It was always the same smiling face which greeted you when you entered the house, and the same smiling face that bid you goodbye when you left home. I think that smile was a distinct trademark and I don't even remember once seeing her without it. I am glad you took this moment to write this. If you ever feel like talking about your Nani to either of us, we are all here, ready to regale you with more amazing and astounding memories of her. You will never get tired of listening to the impact she has had over the years on each of us. That's the way you keep her alive! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Aashu ❤️😌
ReplyDelete